PrepDBQ - Dubuque's preparation community

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > The Lounge > ONE BITE AT A TIME !!

Okarch5
Administrator

That's how you eat an elephant! And that's how we Prep!

What did you do to prep today?  This thread is intended to be a community blog of sorts.  I got the Idea from another forum (getoffthex) give credit where it's due!  

Prepping isn't something we do on the weekends or as a "hobby". It's a WAY OF LIFE!   It's a MINDSET.  We work on different things each day, let's share what we do, hopefully we will all learn something.  It can be as simple as working out to as far out as building a bunker in your backyard. 

Today I finished building a "rocket stove". To keep in my truck.  See link below for an example.         ( this is not my video)

http://youtu.be/P6ValmUnjz4

What did you do today??

--

"if you Fail to Plan, you are Planning to Fail", Benjamin Franklin.

March 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

excellent idea arch!

and speak of ONE bite at a time... I've gained about 20 lbs since this site launched, now I'm wanting to shed it. ONE bite at a time it came on, ONE bite at a time it will come off.

So... I took a 2mile hike through White Water Canyon this morning (it's DARK at 5am). Small step (well about 5000 small steps) but it's a start in the direction I want to go.

March 31, 2015 at 7:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

digbyodell
Administrator

great idea!

The longest journey begins with the first step!!

--
March 31, 2015 at 5:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

took another hike last night with minS, for a total 7.8 miles for the day.

It's a busy world & hard to accomplish all the necessities of life in the short time alotted between work hours... so it seems that fitness often takes a back row... but if it really hits the fan, it could be one of our most important preps.

April 1, 2015 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Okarch5
Administrator
8 mile hike this morning with a small pack.
--

April 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

built a basket for the top of my truck cab. Not pretty, but could secure a lot of gear (which is important given my short truck bed).

the LED lighting from Walmart was disapponting though.

April 9, 2015 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

made a road trip with some boddies to get parts for my lawn tractor...

1) practicing my wrenching skilz never hurts

2) face time with the zombie apocalypse team is always good. Sharing stories & ideas, etc.

April 14, 2015 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Okarch5
Administrator

Went hunting with some buddies Saturday morning, (good to get back to the woods).  Spent some time at the range on Saturday and had a good fire side chat on Sunday!   

On a related note.

COMMUNITY is of the utmost importance. Not just in prepping but in living a full and productive life.   When times get hard and they will for all of us, each in his own time and way, COMMUNITY, family, and friends will get you through.  Make sure to build meaningful relationships in your life.  

--

April 20, 2015 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

good advice 5!

which reminds me, we should create some opprotunities for the PrepDBQ crowd to hang out & build community & relationships...

has everyone noticed the FRONT PAGE lately? ZASC campout? We'll also be camping at Izaak Walton the night of may 2, all are welcome!

April 21, 2015 at 5:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

this weekend...

I went out of my way to smoke some cigars I'd had for a while, BECAUSE, the tin they came in was an even better size for prep kits that the stand-by Altoids tin... what a great excuse for a good cigar!

April 21, 2015 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retiredmajor

My latest Prep: I'm studying for my Ham Operator's License (Technician Class) and purchasing Ham radio equipment. I do ultra light weight backpacking - 2 and 3 day trips and Ham is a good way to be able to keep in touch with the world when hiking. Plus Ham is good during true emergencies when other forms of commo may fail. Major

April 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Retiredmajor

I pulled my backpacking gear out and am blowing the dust off it. I'm planning a few days hike up to Levis, Trow and Wildcat Mounds in Wisconsin. It should moderately difficult - good trails but lots of hills.

April 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

sounds awesome Major!

took a short hike last night m'self... when i left the truck i debated wearing my chest-rig but opted to leave it. Mistake. Once on ther trail I wished for something to cover my ears. I wished for my binoculars. I wished for my GPS. I shoulda just slipped on the rig, needed or not.

April 22, 2015 at 6:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

got my repair parts from Titan Reloading last night! Anxious to get the turret press up & going again for little projects.

Goal for this weekend is to clean my gun room. Six work benches but NO place to clean a gun!? Damn flat spots really accumulate stuff, ha!

April 24, 2015 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

i took the afternoon off & built several 'buddy packs' for my BOB. These can be clipped into place interchangeably depending on the situation. One is a first-aid kit (for when i'm training with friends), another is just for orienteering, and the final one is a mess kit, with some basic cooking items.

April 24, 2015 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PrepDBQ

planted two cherry trees!

added some brighter lights to the basket above the cab on my truck.

April 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.